For 28 years Ray Zegarski has been working to give homeowners a way to get one-press-of-a-button entrance into their garage.
“Nowadays, everything’s electric,” said Zegarski, owner of Door Solutions of Milford. Most of his business is repairs and installing doors on existing homes. The company also installs doors on new buildings.
Zegarski started Advanced Overhead Door Services in Stratford. He learned his trade by working for two different longtime companies. In 2004 he merged with another company, Guilford Door, and that’s how Door Solutions was born.
A design trend for new electric garage doors is carriage house-style wooden doors. Typically, homeowners preferred steel as the material of their garage doors.
Brands the company carries include Haas Door, Clopay, Amarr, General Doors, LiftMaster, and Genie.
• The door is badly rusted or the wood has become rotted.
• The door is not insulated.
• Sections are damaged or broken.
• The door sometimes comes off its tracks.
A door tuneup may be necessary if the homeowner observes that:
• The door is noisy when it opens or closes.
• Hinges are loose.
• The door opener struggles to open the door.
• Rollers or cable sheaves wobble when the door moves.
• The cables are rusted where they connect to the door.
• It has been two years or more since having a tuneup and safety check.
Zegarski said those interested in getting a replacement or new garage door should find a licensed and contracted company that has been in business for a number of years and operates out of a commercial building — not with a P.O. box address. He also recommended finding a company that has lead certification because older houses may have lead paint, and that needs to be disposed of properly. And don’t forget, he said, to first check out anyone working on your home with the Better Business Bureau.
“Or you can just call us and make life easier,” he said.
Door Solutions has a showroom at 80 Rowe Avenue in Milford. For more information, call 877-669-0500 or visit